Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day in the life 2



Woke up, took a New Year's resolution fueled run escorted by Polly (one of the younger dogs), 15 minutes out and back feels arduous and gets me an embarassingly short distance. Excuses: Altitude, hills, rocky road, time off running due to injury. Reality: This is my third run in...as I type I realize it is like 10 months. Um, let's move on.


We are guest-free today so I can take my breakfast at the main table without fear of being roped into an hour and a half polite chat with my morning meal (I often hide in the bar area with my avocado and toast) and since I'm feeling the need for protein post-run I treat myself to the full poached egg, avocado, greens, and fruits plus black tea with ginger meal. Oh man, mangoes (miyembe) are in season right now and sweet lord are they delicious. Party in your mouth for reals.

Get inspired to be productive with my energetic start to the day and send off some emails, including to the American lawyer who has dropped in like an angel to solve our NGO registration issues, then set to organizing my things which have been sitting in the various bags I've stored here or brought from home. This is mostly an exercise for the sake of it since I'll be packing it all back up in a week when we are full again and I relocate to the spare room, but it's therapeutic anyway and pretty fun to salsa my way through it to Buena Vista Social Club on my spiffy new ultra portable battery powered speaker. (Yes, I brought a ridiculous variety of electronics back with me to a place with no electricity.)

Chatted with the hosts for a bit when they came up for breakfast, now they are having an unpleasant meeting with their manager about not berating the staff whilst drunk, and I am working on crafting a grant application over the rest of my teapot. And the rest of their teapot. Why let it go to waste, right? I really hope ginger is good for you, because I am basically pickling in it internally about half of my waking hours.

This afternoon I hope to get some of this grant stuff done, then meet with an obliging doctor who is head of a local hospital in order to pick his brain about what the real health issues are here (everyone always says they have malaria--possible, sure, but probably not once a month--and typhoid--not possible. No typhoid here.) on the way to a staff party at another (less idyllic, of course) local lodge. Overheard possibility of disco later? Will report after.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Contributors