Monday, December 20, 2010

Schiphol dee doo dah

Allllllllmost home! Just waiting in snow dusted Amsterdam (thanking my lucky stars I flew KLM and not British Air.) Long layover broken up by free internet and whimsical Dutch Christmas rapping (no, not wrapping.) This trip started 23 hours ago now when I left the lodge for Fort Portal, where I met a woman who wound up on the same flight with me to share the 7 hour ride to the airport. She was at the lodge because she works for a Major US Corporation that buys our vanilla and is making a few short webfilms about it; pretty neat, and very neat that we got to split the car cost.
Uganda just does not feel like the holidays, but we started to get a taste of it as we drove past all the shack shops that sprouted Charlie Brown style fake trees in the last few days and stringy tinsel. Landing in snowy Amsterdam (at dawn...which was at nearly nine. oy, winter) threw me right into it. Honestly, long live commercialization; this airport is super cheery and I am contentedly sipping tea and plugging into my embarrassingly large holiday music collection. Of course, I recognize that my glee at feeling the chilly air blow in the jetways is a luxury one can have when one has a sunburn from floating in the pool too much yesterday, but let's not dwell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Contributors