Oh, Kampala. My new roommate and I were each in two different coffee shops (there are three) working, and on a whim I suggested we meet at the Chinese restaurant two steps from our house for dinner. (It's how I tell everyone to find our place, how could I never try it?) We arrived to find a party for the newly arrived Brazilian football team being hosted. We snuck glances all of dinner, as they gave speeches that lasted our whole meal (translating into Portuguese, English, and Chinese trebled them), plus a long, long prayer/preaching session. (They're here as an evangelical charity.) We felt awkward, but how could we leave without any pictures? So I forced my housemate over as they dispersed. Turns out they had two Texan members, one from Houston where she's from. They made buddies and we got invited to the game on the team bus.
After a lovely time sitting in breezy weather watching the match we weaseled our way into a free dinner with them on the hotel roof. Thought the footballers didn't mix much, we made good friends with a group of Danes on mission, and bonded over post-dessert line dancing with the traditional dance troupe performers under the stars. Another magical evening in K'la.
http://www.goal.com/en/news/89/africa/2009/07/20/1392844/brazilian-football-team-arrives-for-east-african-charity
The title is "Jesus <3 You" in Portuguese, and it's what was on the undershirts revealed when the players doffed their jerseys. (Apparently they can't wear them anymore in FIFA tournaments -- avoiding potential coercion/perceived endorsement or suppression of freedom of religion? Hint: My religious studies major roommate and I differ.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment